How to Feel Better | Tips for When You Have a Cold

Monday, January 11, 2016

I don't know what it is, but ever since I started PA school, my immune system has been horrible. Okay...I know what it is...it's stress, lack of a good sleep schedule, and a poor diet. Although, I came down with a cold during my winter break a couple days before classes started back up. It's crazy because I am such a germaphobe. I always wash my hands, disinfect my phone everyday, and try to hold my breath if someone around me sneezes or coughs until I am further away from them...and I still somehow end up sick! Anyway...here are some of the tips that help me when I'm sick with a cold!

1. Take Zicam - Take Zicam as soon as you feel a cold coming on and continue to take it throughout the next few days. I can't take it as often as the directions on the packaging says because it upsets my stomach, but I still feel like it helps me to get over my cold faster. I'm currently using the RapidMelts with Echinacea.
Zicam rapidmelts
Image: Amazon.com
2. Gargle with Warm Salt Water - My mom always told me to do this, and it really helps if you have a sore throat! Try to do it several times a day.


3. Take Elderberry Syrup - It is supposed to help prevent cold/flu viruses and help you to get over them more quickly. Some people swear by it, but I'm not sure if it helped me or not. I was honestly not that consistent with it. I have the one by Nature's Way.
Nature's Way Original Sambucus Elderberry Syrup
Image: Amazon.com
4. Drink Tea - Try to drink tea several times a day when you are sick. The warmth of the tea really helps with nasal congestion. Add honey to your tea to help soothe a sore throat and for antimicrobial benefits as well. 

5. Use Vicks VapoRub - Apply it to your chest and throat at night. The vapors help with nasal congestion and relieve your cough. I actually read that it can help to relieve a cough when you apply it to the bottom of your feet and put socks on. I tried it out, and I think it actually worked...I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence. 

6. Take a Hot Shower - Again, this can help with nasal congestion and just makes you feel better overall. 

7. Use Essential Oils - If you have an essential oil diffuser, use that. If not, you can try this trick: Take an essential oil, such as eucalyptus oil, and put a couple of drops into a pot of boiling water. Then breathe in the vapors. This will help to clear and soothe irritated nasal mucous membranes. 


What are some tips that you use when you are sick?

-C

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs