Behavioral Health Rotation | My Experience

Friday, May 12, 2017


I just finished my Behavioral Health rotation (my 7th rotation...just 3 more to go!) and I wanted to write a little about my experience and how I studied for the EOR exam. I did my rotation at an inpatient mental health facility with adult, adolescent, child, and dual (psychiatric illness + substance abuse) units. I worked with the adults for the majority of my rotation. To be honest, I was pretty nervous in the beginning, especially since the patients were acting out more than usual during my first week there...screaming at hallucinations, punching holes in the wall, banging heads against the wall, etc. As time went on, I became more comfortable working with the patients. It was a great experience and I learned a lot! I learned how to redirect patients who were easily distracted and deal with difficult substance abuse patients. You need to be careful because some patients can be very manipulative!

I had heard that the Behavioral Health EOR exam was the easiest exam, but I was still nervous. I used Case Files Psychiatry, my lectures from didactic year, and PANCE Prep Pearls to study. I was also lucky enough to have a really great preceptor who gave me readings throughout my rotation based on the PAEA EOR topic list as well as practice questions. This exam was definitely easier to study for because the topic list was relatively short as compared to Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, etc. I personally found the exam to be easier than most of the others (I've taken all of the EOR exams except for Pediatrics).

What was your experience like during your Behavioral Health rotation?

-C

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs